Home/Ten Tunnels Railway Deviation

Ten Tunnels Railway Deviation

LPI Lithgow 8931-3S

401 924 - 432 910

1040 metres

The Ten Tunnels Railway Deviation was built to replace the Zig Zag which had become a serious bottleneck.

The deviation was constructed between 1908 and 1910. It is between Bell and Zig Zag Stations, in a very rugged landscape. The work was successful, eliminating the bottlenecks and reducing journey times.

Supplies for the tunnel construction were delivered via a funicular railway that ran from Mt Sinai to just south of Tunnel 10, 100 metres below. The stonework from the incline and other relics can still be seen today.

An undercut pagoda, high above the railway has been supported by eight brick pillars. This would have been an interesting engineering challenge.

No wonder it is on the State Heritage Register.

Lett

Cook