Home/Macquarie Lighthouse

Macquarie Lighthouse

LPI Sydney Heads 9130-2N

414 527

80 metres

The Macquarie Lighthouse site has been used as a light house continuously since 1818 when the first lighthouse was built, replacing a fire in a basket used since 1793.

The current Macquarie Lighthouse was built in 1881 to replace the original which had been badly eroded by the elements.  The design of the new lighthouse resembled the original but used more resilient materials.

Macquarie Lighthouse has been fully automated since 1976.

Watsons Bay (NSW)

Alexandria

Cumberland